Monday, November 2, 2009

My First Blog!

This should be an interesting experience...for you the reader, and me! I should probably start with the disclaimers. My views, and the views I decide to share on this blog, are my own and my own only! Most importantly, I am not the best or the funniest writer in the world, but I will try to make it interesting. If you're lucky, it might even be funny!

I am a pilot with a major US airline. I currently fly the Boeing 757 & 767. As much as I love flying the 757, I will be making a change after the new year. I have decided to take a break from the international flying I have been doing for the past 5 years, and will focus on more domestic flying, i.e. less time zone changes. It is true that airlines doing more with less during the last ten years. That includes the pilots. We are doing more and making less. I'm not going to turn this post into a debate over what I deserve to be paid, I will just say that I have been working more hours than I ever have in my life. It has taken it's toll on my body, so I have decided to give it a break and enjoy what my country, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, and our brethren to the North have to offer. Therefore, I will be going to 737 training in January. I figured it has been 3 years since I've added a type rating to my certificate, so I decided to do something about it.

Speaking of type ratings, back to my credentials. I am just barely on the shy side of 40 years old. (very shy side)... I have just around 10,000 hours, give or take, and am type rated in the Jetstream 4100, Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ-200), Airbus A320, Boeing 757 & Boeing 767. I also have Second-in-Command (read-not PIC) type ratings in the DC-10 and Boeing 717, errr...DC-9. In other words, my pilot certificate might need Lypo Suction if I get any more type ratings. I figure there aren't too many more I can get. My company has 777's and will soon be getting 787's. (soon, being before the turn of the century). Are any of you trying to figure out who I work for yet? I know my friends and family already know, but I'm sure it would eventually become obvious anyway.

Like I said earlier, I really hope this will be an interesting way for me to be creative, share some ideas, and be a place for me to tell stories and post pictures from my travels. If you are not in the aviation industry, I hope you get an idea through some of my stories of just what life is like in front of the cockpit door. As I know that most airline pilots tell you not to congregate around the cockpit door, but my door will always be open, so gather 'round and enjoy the view! Just be mindful of the bathroom door that is right next to the cockpit door. You never can tell what that odor is!

4 comments:

  1. I can attest to your love of planes and flying. I'll never forget when Sam and I came over (and I was in my Colleen Coolbreeze persona) and you showed us a book on planes and went through the whole book! With details on each plane that was above our comprehension. I'm SO glad you get to do what you love, not many can say that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan the Man! Good for you. I would love to hear more about what you do. Speed has always been your thing. I remember riding Shot-Gun with you one Saturday. We were in your Dad's BMW, you were taking on his car phone (it must have been a military SAT phone...like 2 feet in length and over 10 pounds), driving with one hand, shifting gears all at 120 mph. That was scary. I'm glad you're getting paid to fly!

    Best of luck with the Blog!

    Rob Andino

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. Thrilled to have another avenue to follow the travels & stories of a modern day adventurer. You are both friend & family and whatever you do will always be supported without question or hesitation. All the best on this project. I can't wait to read future discussions, observations & heck, maybe even the stuff you promised might be funny (just try to limit the high school stories & references please - LOL - even though they make for great reading).

    Later Bro... Chaz (aka: Chuckster)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,I'm trying to remember that time. I don't remember doing 120 while on the cell phone, but I do remember those monstocities they used to call car phones. Do you remember when they came out with portable mobile phones? You could carry them with you and they were the size of a house. Now we carry cell phone with more computing power than a BMW...or, at least the Space Shuttle.
    Chaz, no need to worry about me telling stories from high school. I'd hate to have more of my stories come to the light, lest my parents, and yours, find out just what kind of kid I was. I'd rather have them still thinking that I'm a saint! ;-)

    ReplyDelete